BMW i5 Officially Revealed

All BMW i5 related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

More dynamic than ever, featuring a wealth of digital innovations and, for the first time, all-electric drive - this is how the new BMW 5 Series Sedan steps up to the plate. As the BMW i5, the new edition of the world's most successful business sedan takes the lead on the road to sustainable premium mobility in the upper mid-range vehicle segment. Consistent electrification, advanced BMW iDrive display and control system with “QuickSelect“, new digital services, and increased sustainability throughout the entire product life cycle characterise the progress made in the fields of the future which are centrally important in the current transformation of the BMW Group.

BMW i5 2023-11.jpg

Both the regular 5 Series and the i5 are due to go on sale in October and a more practical ‘Touring’ estate version of each will join the range in 2024.

The entry-level i5 will be rear-wheel-drive eDrive40, priced from £73,200, which has a single electric motor with 322bhp and 430Nm of torque. That power comes from a 81.2kWh battery – enough, BMW says, for a 0-62mph time of six seconds and a range of between 296 and 362 miles, depending on spec. It can be charged at up to 205kW, allowing a 10-80-per cent refill in half an hour.

The flagship of the whole 5 Series range – at least, until BMW’s M division comes up with its expected hybrid M5 – will be the i5 M60 xDrive. As its name suggests, it has a motor on each axle for four-wheel drive and a combined output of 593bhp and 820Nm of torque. It can reach 62mph in 3.8 seconds and a limited top speed of 143mph, but since it mixes this extra grunt with the same battery capacity, its range drops to between 283 and 321 miles.

Following BMW’s established strategy for it’s electric models, there aren’t too many design changes between the petrol-powered 5 Series and the i5. The styling is also an evolution of what’s gone before – as is usually the case on one of BMW’s cornerstone vehicles. The front has slimmer headlights than previously and, in line with the firm’s recent designs, a larger front grille – but the car is still clearly recognisable as a 5 Series. The grille itself is blanked off to improve aerodynamic efficiency. The 10cm gain in length over the old G30 5 Series gives the Mk8 model a slightly more rakish profile, though, particularly around C-pillar and boot.

The ICE and EV models’ similar exterior design extends to the interior as well. Both use BMW’s double-screen instrument panel and infotainment set-up. The dials continue to be housed in a 12.3-inch display, but the curved panel now features a larger 14.9-inch infotainment system towards the centre of the fascia.

The new model generation will be offered worldwide with all-electric drive and, depending on the market region, also with plug-in hybrid systems as well as with highly efficient petrol and diesel engines including 48-volt mild hybrid technology. Like all previous model generations, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan is produced at the BMW Group Plant Dingolfing, where the electric motors and high-voltage batteries for the BMW i5 are also manufactured.

A first at BMW: Fully vegan interior.

Newly designed sports seats are standard equipment. The optional comfort seats offer a wide range of electrically operated adjustment options. The new BMW 5 Series Sedan is the brand's first model to feature a fully vegan interior as standard. This includes the surfaces of the seats, the dashboard and the door panels, as well as the steering wheel for the first time. The seat surfaces in the Veganza version with leather-like properties are also optionally available with a decorative perforation. Further optional equipment includes BMW Individual Merino leather upholstery in several bicolour variants.

BMW i5 2023-12.jpg

BMW i5 2023-13.jpg

BMW i5 2023-2.jpg

BMW i5 2023-3.jpg

BMW i5 2023-4.jpg

BMW i5 2023-5.jpg

BMW i5 2023.jpg

BMW i5 2023-14.jpg

BMW i5 2023-15.jpg

BMW i5 2023-16.jpg

BMW i5 2023-9.jpg

BMW i5 2023-10.jpg